a rich & established
Practice history

Bouhan Falligant LLP is proud of its legacy of providing excellent legal service to clients throughout the Southeast for over 130 years.  It is the successor firm to Bouhan, Williams & Levy LLP and Inglesby, Falligant, Horne, Courington & Chisholm P.C.

Bouhan, Williams & Levy’s history dates back to 1886 when W. W. Osborne formed a partnership with former United States Senator Pope Barrow.  In January, 1890, the firm dissolved and in March of that year, W. W. Osborne entered into a partnership with Alexander Lawrence, in the name of Osborne & Lawrence.  In 1916, Edmund H. Abrahams joined the firm, and the firm name changed to Osborne, Lawrence & Abrahams.  In 1931, the firm merged with the firm of Bouhan & Atkinson, changing the name to Abrahams, Bouhan, Atkinson & Lawrence.

Over the ensuing decades, the firm would undergo several metamorphoses.  Partners were added, changing the firm’s name and expanding its capacity.  On August 1, 1968, Alexander A. Lawrence withdrew from the firm to become a United States District Court Judge for the Southern District of Georgia, and the firm name was changed to Bouhan, Williams & Levy.

The firm has produced an impressive number of Judges and distinguished officers of the State Bar of Georgia, including two presidents, as well as prominent leaders of community organizations.  In fact, one of the firm’s leaders, John Bouhan, was a significant political leader in City, County and State politics from the 1930s to the 1960s in the State of Georgia. The firm has been instrumental in counseling local companies, including Georgia Power, International Paper, Coca-Cola, and the Board of Education.

One of the firm’s more well-known cases was the now-famous Jim Williams murder trial, a case that was brought to the public view by author John Berendt’s book, Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil. The success of the book soon caught Hollywood’s attention and that of Director Clint Eastwood.

Inglesby, Falligant, Horne, Courington & Chisholm traces its history to the law firm of Adams, Adams, and Brennan in the 1800s, and was successively known as Adams, Adams, Brennan and Gardner; Adams, Gardner, Ellis, and Inglesby; and Adams, Gardner, Ellis, Inglesby, and Falligant before Inglesby Falligant split off over 20 years ago in 1990 to represent the legal needs of NationsBank (now Bank of America).

One of its partners, Pratt Adams, became chairman of C & S Bank, and played a role in the desegregation of Savannah in the 1960s.  In recent years, Inglesby Falligant was known for its transactional and bankruptcy work, and was involved in many developments that shaped Savannah as we know it today.  Prior to the merger, Inglesby Falligant was located in the historic Hull Stoddard Barrow house on Chippewa Square, built in 1844.

Over the years, Bouhan Falligant LLP has witnessed its share of changes and has always emerged stronger and with greater resolve.  The firm continues its tradition of providing a complete and diverse offering of legal services to its clients. Whether for individuals or business organizations, Bouhan Falligant LLP will always offer its unique combination of time-tested experience from its veteran attorneys and the innovation of its younger members, providing clients with the distinct advantage that, as history has proven, will stand the test of time.

Our Firm

  • 1886
       

    W.W. Osborne and Pope Barrow Form a Partnership

    In 1886, W. W. Osborne formed a partnership with former United States Senator Pope Barrow that would ultimately become Bouhan Falligant LLP. 

  • 1900
       

    W. W. Osborne enters into a partnership with Alexander Lawrence.

    In 1900, W. W. Osborne entered into a new partnership with Alexander Lawrence, creating Osborne & Lawrence.

  • 1916
       

    Edmund H. Abrahams admitted to the Firm

    In 1916, Edmund H. Abrahams was admitted to the Firm, and the name was changed to Osborne, Lawrence & Abrahams. 

  • 1924
       

    John J. Bouhan and David S. Atkinson form Bouhan Atkinson.

    In 1924, two former Osborne and Lawrence Associates, John Joseph “Johnny” Bouhan, later a well-known Savannah political boss, and David S. Atkinson, formed the firm of Bouhan & Atkinson.

  • 1931
       

    Osborne, Lawrence & Abrahams merges with Bouhan & Atkinson.

    In 1931, Osborne, Lawrence & Abrahams merged with Bouhan & Atkinson, creating Abrahams, Bouhan, Atkinson & Lawrence.

  • 1944
       

    David S. Atkinson Becomes Superior Court Judge

    In 1944, David S. Atkinson withdrew from the Firm to become a judge for the Superior Court of Georgia’s Eastern Judicial Circuit. As a result, the Firm’s name was changed in 1945 to Abrahams, Bouhan & Lawrence.

  • 1945
       

    George W. Williams joins the Firm.

    In 1945, George W. Williams joined the firm as an associate. In 1947, Mr. Williams was admitted as a partner, and the Firm’s name was changed to Bouhan, Lawrence, & Williams.

  • 1948
       

    B.H. Levy joins the Firm.

    In 1948, B.H. Levy became a partner in the firm and the name was changed to Bouhan, Lawrence, Williams & Levy.

  • 1968
       

    Alexander A. Lawrence Becomes United States District Court Judge.

    In 1968, President Lyndon Johnson appointed Alexander A. Lawrence as U.S. District Judge for the Southern District of Georgia. Upon his appointment, the Firm’s name was changed to Bouhan, Williams & Levy, which remained unchanged from that time until 2013 when the firm merged with Inglesby, Falligant, Horne, Courington & Chisholm P.C to create Bouhan Falligant LLP.

  • 1970
       

    Bouhan, Williams & Levy moves into the Armstrong House.

    In 1970, Bouhan, Williams & Levy moved its offices from the Liberty National Bank Building to the Armstrong House, a four-story Italian Renaissance mansion completed in 1919 for George Armstrong, a Savannah shipping magnate. The firm occupied the Armstrong House until 2017, when it moved into its newly constructed offices located at One West Park Avenue. The Armstrong House was once the site for Armstrong Junior College and was featured in movies such as Cape Fear and the film adaptation of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.  

  • 1983
       

    Frank “Sonny” Seiler Represents Jim Williams in the famous murder case depicted in Midnight and the Garden of Good and Evil

    In 1983, Frank “Sonny” Seiler began his representation of Savannah antiques dealer and restorer of historic homes, Jim Williams, in a murder trial that was depicted in John Berendt’s best-selling book Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.  

  • 1990
       

    Inglesby, Falligant, Horne, Courington & Chisholm Found New Firm

    Partners from the firm of Adams, Gardner, Ellis, Inglesby, and Falligant found a new firm, Inglesby, Falligant, Horne, Courington & Chisholm P.C., which was located in the historic Hull, Stoddard, Barrow house on Chippewa Square.

  • 2013
       

    Bouhan, Williams & Levy LLP merges with Inglesby, Falligant, Horne, Courington & Chisholm P.C. to create Bouhan Falligant LLP

    In 2013, Bouhan, Williams & Levy LLP merges with Inglesby, Falligant, Horne, Courington & Chisholm P.C. to create Bouhan Falligant LLP

  • 2017
       

    Bouhan Falligant LLP Moves to One West Park.

    In 2017, Bouhan Falligant LLP moved into its newly constructed offices at One West Park Avenue. The new building was designed by Felder and Associates and built by West Construction Company. The building has received numerous design and construction awards.  

  • 2018
       

    Benjamin W. Karpf Elected Superior Court Judge

    In 2018, Bouhan Falligant LLP Partner Benjamin W. Karpf is elected to serve as a Superior Court Judge for Chatham County.